Is namhaid an cheird gan í a fhoghlaim.
The craft is an enemy when not learned.

Sunday, January 30, 2011

[ANAH] Weeks 3 & 4: Redux

Looking back on weeks 3 & 4, I think that the circle method of laying out information and plot is more useful to me in terms of story structure.  The straight line is excellent for looking at timing of events but it doesn't evoke the same scrutiny of symmetry as the circle does.

Maybe it's because I've always been a mythology buff, but the circle definitely resonated with me more, at least in terms of plotting a romance.  In a romance, I find I want what is described in the Hero Cycle: to cross a threshold, enter into another state, travel in that state, then cross another threshold to emerge into the world again. Falling in love is entering into that altered state of being and the H/H emerges at the end with a different relationship to the world. One enters the adventure as a single entity, lacking something specific, and emerges from that haze of love and trials as part of a dual entity, with that lack fulfilled.

This is my sketch that I did of Nico's journey, because it was the one that spawned a lot of my interesting thoughts about the circular plot diagram.

2 comments:

  1. Anah, I love this: One enters the adventure as a single entity, lacking something specific, and emerges from that haze of love and trials as part of a dual entity, with that lack fulfilled.

    That's one of the clearer statements on how the Hero's Journey works in romance I've ever seen, and I think it's going to help me a lot in refining the plot of my next piece. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenna, that's an awesome compliment. Glad it helped. :)

    ReplyDelete